Re: Quandry..14" or 15" Wheels for MGB

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Quandry..14" or 15" Wheels for MGB
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:17:36 +0000
> Paul:
>
> I just got some 175/65R14 Michelins from Sam's Club. They look minute compared
> to the blimps the DPO had on the car. They handle much better and I swear even
> the brakes work better. With a smaller diameter tire the road has a shorter
> lever to oppose the brakes, less foot pounds. Does this make sense?
>
> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)

Bob,
        This is just a snap response before I leave for work, but if I'm
wrong, I'll sure others will jump in.
        I don't think that tire diameter has much effect on braking for the
reason you described.  (Smaller tires having less 'lever' to oppose
the road).  Tires don't really stop your car, your BRAKES stop your
car.  As long as all of the geometry in your braking system stays the
same (number of pistons, diameter of disc/drum, etc.), your braking
performance is going to be about the same.  You'd only see a
difference if two tires had differing frictional coefficients.

Scott