Re: Buying a MGB

To: "John O'Malley" <jroj@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Buying a MGB
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 06:50:38 -0600 (CST)
You wrote:

>I am thinking of buying a MGB, late 1960's, and would like your
opinion on
>the price that I should be willing to pay for a good sound car with no
rust.

>Thanks.
>
>John O'Malley

I always work my way backwards. You can buy a perfect late 60's MGB
that will win you a first place at almost every show you you go to for
$7,500 to $10,000. I look at every car and ask myself "what will it
cost me to get this car in perfect condition?" So if you're looking at
a sound, solid body that needs a paint job, a new top and interior for
$3,000 then you need to add $2,500 to $3,500 on the paint, $200 to $500
for the top and $500 to $800 on the interior. By the time you are
finished you're $6,200 to $7,800 lighter in the pocket.

Of course if showing is not in your game plan and going is, then you'll
be forgoing alot of the cash sucking details. I drive a 77 B that cost
me about $1,600 for it's initial purchase and immediate needs. Although
I get many thumbs up on the road, this car is a border line "diamond in
the rough"  contender.

It's very easy to dump more than you will ever get back on resale into
these cars. At the same time, if you are building a car to your
specifications for your personal use,  then there is no real value that
can be put on the feeling of satifaction you will be getting each time
you drive or for that matter, look at that car.