Re: New guy and alternative drive trains

To: ABunch726 <ABunch726@aol.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New guy and alternative drive trains
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 20:56:26 -0500
At 07:10 PM 3/8/98 EST, ABunch726 wrote:

Has anyone dropped

>another drive train into a MGB?  GM or Ford V-6?  Toyota or Nissan 4 cylinder?

>Mazda Rotary?  I'd like to have around 150hp and a standard tranny.  I want to

>hear from anyone who has tried this and what the complications were.

A few tips:

Range Rover V-8 3.5 liter

about 150 horsepower easily and more if you so desire

GM T-5 5 speed from late 80s model camaros and some S-10 pickups

a new driveshaft

Ford 8" rear end with existing drum brakes or discs

Mazda Rotary weighs quite a bit more than the V-8; V-6s are harder to fit into
the B engine bay

not for the faint hearted; buy a conversion book from Moss or equivalent
supplier, and read it and read it again.  If you still have the desire, I'd say
go for it.

I'm converting my '78 B to a V8, but the rebuilt engine in my '70 B still holds
my heart.

These cars are wonderful if handled properly.  I suggest you try to get your
car road worthy and then decide if you still want to do the conversion.  In my
case, my brother wants to have my '78 B with more power.  I'd much rather give
it to him and still be able to maintain the car, than sell it to some fool who
would feel alright letting the car rot after two years of fun and sun.

Reply privately as I know Kai and others are cringing at the above words.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.