Re: Happy Days are here again

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: Happy Days are here again
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:54:41 +0000
Phil Raby wrote:

> The answer to to stuff ESSO, Texaco, Mobil etc and buy your fuel from
> supermarkets. Damn sight cheaper and just as good.

Not according to Vauxhall, apparently.  Watchdog (UK TV consumer program)
reported that quite a few people (only women were featured, interestingly) are
having trouble with valves coking up on new 16v engines.  Vauxhalls response
was
'You are not driving the cars hard enough and you shouldn't use supermarket
fuel'.
I wonder how much development time is devoted to the typical 'pottering a few
miles
across town to work once a day and back' and the 'once yearly fully laden
thrash
down the M6 to Cornwall and back' as opposed to race tracks, deserts and
Arctic.
Not nearly as interesting, I suppose.

PaulH.