Re: Happy Days are here again

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: Happy Days are here again
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:19:47 +0000
Phil Raby wrote:

> On 10/3/98 7:54 pm Paul Hunt said
>
> >Not according to Vauxhall, apparently.  Watchdog (UK TV consumer program)
> >reported that quite a few people (only women were featured, interestingly)
> >are
> >having trouble with valves coking up on new 16v engines.  Vauxhalls
> >response was
> >'You are not driving the cars hard enough and you shouldn't use
> >supermarket fuel'.
> >I wonder how much development time is devoted to the typical 'pottering a
> >few miles
> >across town to work once a day and back' and the 'once yearly fully laden
> >thrash
> >down the M6 to Cornwall and back' as opposed to race tracks, deserts and
> >Arctic.
> >Not nearly as interesting, I suppose.
>
> IMHO. Vauxhall are talking out of their backsides. I always use
> supermarket fuel whether I'm driving an MG, Porsche or just some Eurobox
> and it's fine. Who'd buy a Vauxhall anyway? ;-)

My wife still reminices about being wafted along in the air conditioned comfort
of
our company Cavalier Diplomat, but after a Jeep safari in the Canaries this
winter
she has promised never to complain about the ride in the roadster again.

Not specifuically aimed at Supermarket fuel, but just after sending the
above I read that BMW are also having problem with UK fuel eating away their
nickel
cylinder liners.  Apparently they are refusing to replace the engines unless
the
owners have kept to the servicing schedules and had them serviced at BMW
dealers.

PaulH.