MGB-GT Restoration

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB-GT Restoration
From: Bowentr6 <Bowentr6@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:17:03 EST
Help! I need some advice for a friend on his newly acquired 72' MGB-GT that is
sitting in my driveway. Here's the story:

The car was bought for $800.00 on the spot. Towed it to my house where it sits
waiting for spring. It runs & drives (sound familiar, drove it into the
garage). It's got a weber carb & header (Su's in box). The interior is ratty.
Outer body is fair. Suspension needs going over. It appears the car was a
daily driver, then stored for a few years.

The question I have is about the inner body... The right inner fender is
rusted through by the wheel well. Passenger floor pan has a rust hole, and the
right side outer & inner sills are soft, or rusted through. Left side seems
stronger upon initial inspection.

I own a TR6 (No flames please?!), so I am not familiar with the MG inner body
work.
I'm used to badly rusted frames that lead to body off restorations!

The question: is this car worth the trouble and $  to properly repair the
body? I hate to advise my friend to sink money into mechanical stuff without
having a proper foundation. Is this something that can be done by a novice? Or
best left to the professionals?

Would it be better to search for a car that is more sound?

Your advice is appreciated.

Tom Bowen
69 TR6
68 MGB ( Father in law's car in my garage)
72 MGB GT (Friend's new project)