Re: Electronic ignition...again

To: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition...again
From: Charley Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:44:17 -0800
Not really Bill,

  When I bought my B the mechanical advance mechanism was frozen, and
the vacuum diaprhagm was leaking.  The bushings were in good shape as
were the springs, etc.  I fixed all that stuff, put new points and
condensor in (I even own an ignition analyzer/dwell meter from the pre
electronic ignition days), replaced the Cap, rotor and plug wires.  The
ignition sys was working as well as it ever had when I installed the
Crane unit.

  If you'll read up on ignition parameters you'll find that the basic
transistor ignition units, with dwell-compensation circuits, provide a
better spark than a basic points system.  Couple this fact with a hotter
coil, so that you can fire a wider plug gap for better combustion, and
you'll see why I went to electronic ignition.  I had a CDI on my `70 B
but I couldn't get the tach to work reliably with it, so I replaced it
with the Allison (now Crane) unit instead.

  So now I have a hotter spark than I can get with points and lower
maintenance to boot.  Unless the E-ignition poops out, that is.
So, I carry the points and condensor with me, JIC.  Wish I could do that
on my Nissan PU and Yugo hatchback; they came with E-ignition.

  You're right of course; the hot ignition system won't fix other
problems.  I never expected  it to do that.  It's only one step along
the way to getting it right.

--
   Charley Robinson           <ccrobins@ktc.com>
   `69 B