Re: Electronic ignition...again

To: R Williams <spriteracer@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition...again
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:09:23 -0500
R Williams wrote:

> I don't recall if this was covered in the previous discussion of the
> Crane electronic ignition. I just installed one on my 66 Midget and it
> seems that the car will run perfectly for 5 minutes and then it will die
> immediately. After a "cooling-off" period of about 5 minutes it will
> start up and run perfectly.

  Is the module securely mounted to a very large clean piece of
metal somewhere (firewall or fender)?

  It needs to sink heat away from it to stay cool, that's why
it's in that finned box. Conducting heat into car metal is the
best way to do this.

  As well, are you running a coil that is "approved" by the
Crane documentation? (usually primary resistance of at least
3.5 ohms)

  If not, you could be overdrawing from the module which will
cause it to heat up very quickly.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada