Re: rotor help

To: tsherman@tecinfo.com
Subject: Re: rotor help
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 23:10:16 EST
If the rotor contact and the alignment tab are on the same side, then the
rotor you have is incorrect
 To get the plug wire orientation correct, bring #1 cylinder up on
compression. Check by holding a thumb over the plug hole. When you feel
pressure, that piston is moving up on the compression stroke. slowly turn
the engine til the timing marks align. The Rotor is now pointing to the
#1 plug wire position.
 If you have doubts about the rotor, don't use it. It's possible it isn't
an MGB rotor, and could do damage to the cap if used. Been there; done
that
 I got a rotor (among other things)for my Midget once. Seems someone at
the parts house had put the wrong rotor back in the box when comparing
them or something. I tried to crank the engine and found myself with a
pair of matching cap halves. The rotor I got was just BCH longer than
correct, and it was just enough to catch the cap contacts and crack the
cap - It didn't do the rotor any good either!
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget