Re: starting newsgroup

To: "Tom Reichard" <Tom@LakeMurray.com>
Subject: Re: starting newsgroup
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:46:31 -0700
Tom:

We each have our definitions of what is "neat" and what is a waste of time.
For me the following are a waste of time:

Regular (about once ever 2 weeks) requests for information on
specifications which are clearly set out in owner's manuals

Such as grades of oil in transmissions and rear axles
Tire pressures and sizes
Vehicle weight
Operating temperature or oil pressure

Regular requests for information about how to:

Replace a windscreen
Repair the "crack of doom"
Seal a leaking windscreen
Adjust an SU carb
Install a seat gasket
Install a carpet kit
Determine if a wire wheel is worn out
Find which parts are cheaper at which dealers
Locate a cheap car
Determine what to pay or ask for a car or part
Find a manual or book
Sell a manual or book

Regular requests for information on how to bastardize an MG by

Replacing its engine with a V8, V6, rotary, Japanese multivalve
Installing Weber carbs, hot cams, headers, electric fans etc.
Installing roll bars
Installing non-stock wheels and tires
Replacing shock absorbers, sway bars, brakes, steering wheels with
different parts

Regular discussions on

The meaning of Mowog
Cats, Beer, Places to visit in England
Places and people not to visit in England
What tires are best
What colors are best
Which insurance company is best

Requests for information by do-it-yourselfers about how to do things that
they don't have the skills to do such as

Paint a car
Rebuild and engine or transmission
Weld new sheet metal on to the car
Do advanced body work
Rebuild front ends, steering boxes, differentials
Rebuild instruments

Information postings about

Events I will never be able to attend
Events I might be able to attend but won't
Events which only two person will attend
Meets, sales, classifieds which are impossible for me to be involved in
Club activities for clubs I don't belong to

Expressions of opinion or banter about

MGFs which I will never own or see
The state of the British motor industry
The sad excuses for cars which are Triumphs, Miatas, Volkswagens, Jaguars,
Spitfires etc.
All manner of topics which happen to capture the interest of some members
of our virtual club.

And finally - the most boring, aggravating and time wasting of all -
complaints about the content of the list by those who would tell me what is
important.

John McEwen  OF, RCO

And proud of it.