Re: Choke, Battery, Etc.

To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Subject: Re: Choke, Battery, Etc.
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:41:39 -0800
Gary Davis wrote:
>   The most powerful Group 26 battery I could find in Billings had
> 540 CCA.  Not what I wanted, but the best I could do at the time (I was
> desperate to get my car on the road).

Hi Gary-
        540 cold cranking amps is plenty.  I assume that the battery was fully
charged prior to installation.  Even new batteries (and other new parts)
can be bad or not in a full state of charge.  I think, however, that you
still have a bad ground or other poor connection.  Start at the battery
and work each direction.  I read that you cleaned the terminals--did you
clean the other end of the cable where it grounds into the body?  Moving
forward with the positive battery cable, the first thing you come to
will be the starter.  That connection would be my second guess as to
where the problem lies.  ALL of the power to the rest of the car goes
through that connection.
        As a general rule, electrical problems are ground (or lack thereof)
related.

        The choke should be pulled most or all of the way out upon initial
engagement of the starter.  As it begins to run, you might push the
choke in to about half way and further in as the engine begins to run
right.  Each car is different so you will have to see what works for
you.
        When the car is hot, it might not need any choke.  Same for a warm
engine--you will just have to see what works.
        Don't make any assumptions regarding intelligence when you read these
is often times worth exactly what you pay for it.  There are a few
notable exceptions, however, and you will be able to pick that up in
very short order.

Larry Dickstein     Kansas City, MO

O.F. #2 by Executive Decree