Re: Choke, Battery, Etc.

To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Subject: Re: Choke, Battery, Etc.
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:01:04 -0800 (PST)
Dear Gary,

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Gary Davis wrote:

=%OGreetings All . . . . .
=%O
=%OAs a novice, I was overwhelmed with confidence after converting my
=%Odampers to tube shocks over the weekend.  Thanks for all of the advice.

How did it go? I'm very happy with the results on my 70 MGB-GT and I used
Kragen store brand shocks!

=%O
=%ONow, reality has returned and I have other issues to deal with now.  I
=%Obought a new 12V battery (the car had already been converted) last
=%Oweek.  The most powerful Group 26 battery I could find in Billings had
=%O540 CCA.

Hmmm. I bought a group 26 battery from Kragen. I haven't checked the CCA,
but I can crank the hell out of the engine with no worries thus far.
However, this is in Sunny SoCal and my battery is warm and at top
efficiency. Perhaps a battery heater might be in order for you?

=%O Not what I wanted, but the best I could do at the time (I was
=%Odesperate to get my car on the road).  The battery seems to be weak or
=%OI've got some other electrical problem.  I cleaned the terminals and
=%Ogrounds well, put petroleum jelly on the terminals, and cleaned the fuse
=%Oblock and lots of other connections.  If the car doesn't crank the first
=%Otime, it almost seems like the battery is going to die trying to crank it
=%Oafterward.  Also, after I drive it for a while, stop, and then crank it again
=%Owhile still warm, it barely wants to turn the engine over.  What's going on
=%Ohere . . . . ?

Sounds like you might have a charging problem with your alternator.

=%O
=%OWhat is the protocol for using the manual choke?  Every time or only
=%Owhen its cold?

I only have to use the choke when it is cold. It starts just fine when it
is warm.

  I have "flooded" the carbs a couple of times because the
=%Ocar didn't crank the first time, and I didn't know what to do with the choke
=%Oafter that.  These are the situations when the new battery seems to
=%Owant to die on me.  Do you leave it all the way out when cold until
=%Ostarted?

When my car is cold, it has to crank a LOT before it will start. It takes
maybe 20-30 seconds of cranking to start cold.

=%O
=%OI appreciate all your help in the recent past and look forward to your
=%Oreplies on these issues.  Please don't assume anything about my
=%Ointelligence when you reply.

Oh, there will be some that will, but they are grumpy old farts that only
want to talk about stuff in which they are interested. They forget that
they were once newbies and relied on the wisdom of others to get started.

=%O
=%OThanks - Gary Davis ('70 MGB GT)
=%O
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II