Re: Transmission Questions

To: "Christopher Delling" <saschris@flash.net>,
Subject: Re: Transmission Questions
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:55:17 -0800
Chris....if the factory had felt it was OK to run the gearbox low on oil,
they'd probably have fitted a longer dipstick. Also, if they hadn't wanted
you to use engine oil, they'd have said so.
I think you just proved why it's so important to read the owner's manual
and do what it tells you!

Lawrie

----------
> From: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
> To: 'mgs@autox.team.net'
> Subject: Transmission Questions
> Date: Wednesday, March 18, 1998 5:32 PM
>
> My B is fitted with a 4-synchro O.D. tranny, which was rebuilt last year.
 It seems that the gears in the tranny have a ceramic like coating on the
taper that the synchro ring rides on.  The bond between the coating and the
2nd gear failed, and the coating fell of, rendering the synchro useless.
This occured very suddenly, one gearchange was fine, the next was
accomapnied by a crunch of gears, all of which resulted in the re-build,
after which everything seemed fine for several months.

> This spring, when I returned the car to the road after winter storage, I
noted that the 3rd gear synchro seems to be acting up.  It was fine when
the car was put into storage.  All new synchros were fitted during the
rebuild.

> I have noted that the tranny oil level is down a bit, below the low level
mark - I don't know how much down this mark signifies.  The mechanic who
did the work - only does Brit Cars by the way, uses 90 weight gear oil in
all trannies, and this is what he filled my box with.  Also, when I drove
the car, the temperature was quite a bit lower than in the summer when the
car gets most of its use.

> What is the list wisdom on 90 weight in the trans?  Could this account
for my problem?  I know that 20W-50 is the normally reccomended fluid.  How
about the low oil level?  Anyone have a feel for how low the transmission
is if the oil drops below the low mark on the dipstick?