Re: Synthetic Oils for older trannies

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Oils for older trannies
From: "Dave Ahrendt" <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:49:21 -0500
Hi,
I sent this out earlier but unfortunately I was using someone else's
system that was set up for HTML.  I got my warning from
Mark telling me what a stupid jerk, slimy,  no-nothing principal
software engineer, who doesn't know how to use a computer, etc, etc.
I was.
Jeese, lighten up on the bounce message.  Must be nice to never make
a mistake.
Did you ever notice that it seems that only computer (especially
unix) guys will flame anyone who is the slightest bit less knowledgeable
about their tiny specific area of interest.  I don't believe my doctor
thinks I'm
an idiot because I'm can't perform brain surgery.

Oh well,  enough ranting - back to that NT kernel mode driver I was just
working on....It's been a long day. Anyways.

Hi all,

I've been reading some of the postings regarding the use of
synthetic oil in older transmisions.  I posed the question of
possible damage to the brass/bronze synchros. caused by
the sulphur content of GL-5 oils to the guys at Red Line Oil.
The question was specifically targeted for my TC.

The following is their reply:

"With all GL-5 lubes there are some sulphur additives, the Red Line GL-5
gear lubes have less than some. The Red Line GL-5 lubes won't cause
corrosion or damage to the brass and bronze syncros in the transmission,
only a slight discoloration on the surface at high temperature.

In your MG-TC transmission, I would recommend Red Line 75W140NS, this might
give a little better shiftability than the the 80W140. The 75W140NS doesn't
have the friction modifiers that the 80W140 has.

Thank you for your interest in Red Line Oil."

So, from their reply I "think" I can assume that I can use the Red Line Oil
in my TC without problems.  As always, "your mileage may vary".

Regards,
Dave Ahrendt
'46 MG-TC
'61 MGA