Leaking drain plugs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Leaking drain plugs
From: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:31:30 -0500 (EST)
***********************************
Hello all:

Ottawa was balmly today so I took it upon myself to go through my spring
ritual with the MGA 1600. Since it was still up on blocks, cahnged the
engine oil, transmission oil and differential fluid.  While the plugs were
out I put them through a solvent wash and reinstalled .. tight!  There
appears to be a little oil leaking from both the tranny and differential
plug.  Next time can I use teflon tape to seal them up or should I be
looking at something else?

Re-installed the rebuilt carbs, distributor (new points - gapped,
condensor, rotor and cap) new gapped plugs and the battery.  A
couple cranks later, she fired up and vented the oil I had put in the
cylinders last fall.  Jumped in and hit the road.  She seems to be running
a bit sluggish.  The accelleration seems to be there but just.  Pulled
plugs after a 10 - 15 minute run and they were a nice pale brown/beige.
Any idea on the sluggishness?  Timing?  While on timing, I set up a 12V
test light with two leads to set the timing up.  The problem I have is I
don't know where to hook the leads up to.  Any help here as well?

By the way, check out my new home page at
http://www.geocities/motorcity/downs/7189  (a member of the MG Web Ring)

Thanks in advance,

Eric (the rear springs are replaced tomorrow!)

--
         ' ' '          Great is the truth and mighty above all things;
      (  o   o )        It endureth and is always strong;