Re: MGB Distributer Amplifier Module

To: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@ross.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Distributer Amplifier Module
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:51:00 -0500
Henry D. Reynolds wrote:
> Friday My '77 B died twice on the way home (10 min drive) from work.
>
> On both occasions I was able, w/ some difficulty to restart the car.
>
> Once started runs fine, and it died just like the ignition was turned
> off, so naturally I suspect either the ignition switch or the fuel pump.
>
> I have recently dismantled ignition switch and since it works
> otherwise. I suspect the fuel pump. BUT WAIT A MINUTE what about the
> amplifier in the late model distributer.?
>
> I have never owned a B w/o points. How does this puppy fail?

  Exactly like you describe. ;>

> All at once or a-bit-at-a-time. What are the symptoms?

  Just like that, it overheats and doesn't work. So you get under
the hood, play around with wires, and then the car starts and
you feel smart for a few minutes until it brakes again.

  If you have the "lump on the side" distributor system, I suggest
replacing it with a pertronix. That system is so bad even LUCAS
redesigned it.

  If you have the "box on the fender" kind, you might be able to
fix it by ensuring it gets proper cooling. Take it off, clean the
area it bolts to really well, and reattach it so that it can
conduct heat into the fender. Also clean the fins on the box so
they can lose heat.

  If that fails, the ignition module inside the box is a Delco
part, pop it out and take it to a good parts shop and they
should know it by sight.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/