Brake Lining Question, Perhaps A Bit Stupid.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake Lining Question, Perhaps A Bit Stupid.
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 98 12:20:02 +0200
Hi fellow listers,

I'm requesting the wisdom of the list regarding my 1970 MGB,
with a tube-type rear axle.

Last year's mandatory safety inspection revealed a difference (35%)
in braking capacity between L.H. and R.H.  rear wheel.

The car still passed the inspection, but this morning I decided to see what
is wrong (a new inspection is coming up...).

After removing the brake drum, it was obvious that there is some
transmission oil on the brake linings, so the oil seal must have been leaking.

If I've understood it correctly from the Workshop Manual, replacing the oil
seal is realtively straightforward as long as you do not have to replace the
bearing (tube-type axle).

My question is the following:

- Since there is some oil on the brake lining, is it OK to burn it off with
a blow torch or should I replace the linings?
- Any other suggestions that might come in handy?

TIA

Bert