Re: Now Exhaust System

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Now Exhaust System
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 11:36:42 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Dan Ray wrote:

> I took the B to the muffler shop today to get an expert opinion. The crappy
> repair kit didn't work (what a surprise). I think it made it worse in fact,
> now I get a headache from fumes entering the cockpit! The downpipe and welds
> are the main culprit.

        It can be hard to see the exhaust manifold with the twin SU's and
heat shield still in place.  Having taken them off and put them on
numerous times in the last six months, I feel safe telling you it's not as
daunting a task as it may first appear.  It can be a pain getting to the
nuts that hold the the carbs to the inlet manifold, but take your time and
it's not so bad.  It is the least favorite part for me though.
        I took them off so much for several reasons, one of which was to
figure out a similar problem to this one you describe.  The down pipe and
nuts I could see, at the manifold attachment, looked fine, but I too was
being gassed out.  When I got the carbs out of my way, it was easy to see
the cause.  The flanges on the back side of the manifold had cracked
completely through and were not holding the down pipe tightly against the
manifold.  My muffler was shot to, so I suspected, originally, it to be
the main culprit.  I too tried the muffler repair kit and some epoxy
stuff, to no avail.  Possibly, if you have access to welding equipment you
can seal it long enough until funds allow you to replace it, but
replacement is probably the thing to do.  As far as the manifold, I
replaced it with the SS headers as seen in Moss or VB.  They can be put in
with the engine in car, but do require welding, as they arrive in three
pieces.  The welding, in my case, had to be done _after_ placing the pipes
in, or it wouldn't fit.  If you decide to pull either manifold off the
car, be sure you've got new studs and nuts to replace the ones holding
them to the engine.  Chances are good the old ones are tightly seized and
rusted, and you'll likely snap one or more off.  A new gasket may be
necessary too.
        If your e-manifold is still in good condition, the complete
muffler sets from down-tube back can be found pretty reasonably, I think.
Moss and VB are not the cheapest places to deal.  In Hemmings Motor News
(a used car sales forum, about like a medium thinkness telephone directory
with an ochre yellow cover and green lettering, in the periodical section
of a good bookstore) there are several MG part suppliers, and there are
always some parts on sale.  For example, Special Interest is offering an
exhaust kit from manifold back for '62-'74's for $82 (and up) during
March.  I doubt that includes new clamps though.  It's still probably
easier than trying to make non-original stuff fit.  Do be sure to
doublecheck your manifold before ordering though!  If it's cracked, you
might be able to find one at a junk yard.

> So...now I'm looking at exhausts so I can drive the B without passing out.

        Carbon monoxide is serious stuff.  It can kill you, so this is one
of those things you need to put on the 'must do' list.
        Good luck!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege