Re: Now Exhaust System

To: JustBrits <JustBrits@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Now Exhaust System
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:49:45 -0800
JustBrits wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>
>    I will FLAT tell you that exhaust system probs [including fractured
> manifolds] will continue UNTIL the system is hung correctly.  I will also FLAT
> tell you that 'national chain professional muffler shops' have no clue.
>
>    Now, all that being said, please feel free to go out and 'reinvent' the
> wheel.
>
> Cheers..........
>
>          Ed

  While I wopuldn't put it quite the way you did ( ;^) ) I tend to agree
about aligning the exaust system in its brackets (hung?) correctly.
I've only had my present B a coupla months, am still fixing "little
things."   One of those was leaking maniflod flange gaskets, AKA: header
to manifold doughnuts.  Why did they fail?  The bracket, from clutch
housing to pipe clamp, that holds the headpipe in alignment had been
dislocated, probably by running the car over an obstruction.  This
caused the headpipe to be pulled to the side, putting strain on the
manifold to headpipe joints.  The doughnuts began to leak and eventually
burned out.  Gotta keep those joints aligned.......
--
  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX, USA