Re: Radio

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Radio
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:10:22 +0000
> > This is what I was planning for my MG:
> >
> > A nice obnoxious stereo, although it will be off most of the time! =)
> >
> > I also have my BMC AM/FM/8 track! =)
> >
> Speaking of BMC 8-tracks, I've come up with a novel way to keep my car's
> original interior looks without compromising a good sounding stereo.  I'll
> keep my BMC 8-track, in dash and working.  My 'system' will involve two 8"
> two-way truck boxes behind my seats that will be amplified, and two amped
> 4" speakers in the doors.  However, I will wire a harness to amplifiers so
> I can plug my CD-Discman player directly into those and still enjoy CD
> sound.  I'll keep a few good old 8-tracks in the glove box, the CD player
> under the seat, and use the BMC radio!
>
> Michael S. Lishego

Michael,
        You may be in for a bit of a headache here.  I'm assuming the
8-track doesn't have pre-amp level outputs, and I know that portable
disc players don't have the same output voltage and output impedance
as car stereos.  You'll have a hard time using the amplifier with
both sources.  You might be able to get away with it if you used an
amplifier with speaker-level inputs for the 8-track, and line-level
inputs for the portable player.  Problem is, you would have to find
an amp with two separate input level adjusting potentiometers, and
amps aren't meant to have both sets of inputs connected at the same
time anyway.
        My suggestion would be to leave the 8-track in place as a
non-funtioning box, and mount a CD player in the glove box with a
nice surround bezel, or remove the 8-track entirely, and use it to
fashion a concealing cover for the CD player in the dash for when
you're not using it.  You can do this by slicing off the front of the
8-track, gluing all of the buttons in place so they don't fall out,
and affixing it to a cover that fastens with velcro over your CD
player, or even just a friction fit.
        Lastly, you could put the CD player in the glove box, and run it to
the amplified speaker boxes and amplified speakers in the kick
panels.  Then run the 8-track to a pair of unamplified 4" speakers in
the door.  You'll have two separate stereo systems when you're done.
Scott