Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs

To: dlangton@cnx.net
Subject: Re: Bosch Platinum Plugs
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:10:22 +0000
> Does anyone have the know the correct way to gap platinum plugs. Bosch say to
>use their special plug gap tool which has measuring wires to gap the plugs
>rather than the more normal flat gauge or bent>
> David Langton
> Kelowna, BC Canada

You might wait until you get a response from someone that has
actually used the Bosch gapper, but the impression I have is that as
long as the platinum electrode hasn't receded into the little ceramic
"cone" it's in, any conventional gapper will work.  The problem would
come when the platinum core has receded down below the surface of the
insulator.  In that case, a conventional feeler gauge won't be
measuring the distance between the electrode and the core, it will
measure the distance between the electrode and the top of the ceramic
"cone".
Scott