Re: 12 Volt battery size for MGAs

To: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Subject: Re: 12 Volt battery size for MGAs
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:41:32 -0500
Carol wrote:

> I don't know the Group I put in Darlin, but...
>
> I did carry the old battery in to (then) Western Auto, now Parts America
> and asked for a battery that was the same size. ... had measuring tape in
> hand.
>
> Since this question seems to pop up every month or so, and since I know the
> battery I put in the MGA JUST BARELY FIT by about 1/8" or less... I went
> out and got the info off the label for you... No, I did not measure it, but
> probably could be persuaded to do so for a fee! ;-)
>
> Here ya' go...
>
> Battery purchased at what was Western Auto. Part # 65-6626-9, 470 amps,
> Group Size 26P
>
> It fits in the original tray just fine, but, more importantly, can be
> finnegled through the access hole   if you hold your mouth right!
>
> So there you have it! Hope this helps...
>
> Carol
>
> At 02:41 AM 3/30/98 -0500, Mark Moburg wrote:
> >At 05:05 PM 3/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Question to the MGA folks on the list:  Will a Group 26 12V battery fit
> >>in the MGA battery tray?  If not, what is recommended?  TIA.
> >
> >Group 56.  You will probably have to get it from a specialized battery
> >supplier, but it fits right in the tray without modification.
> >
> >Mark Moburg
> >MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
> >Seattle, Washington

Hey Carol!

Thanks for going the "extra mile"!  For Mark:  checked at our local
Cars-R-Us place today.  They had a Group 55 and a Group 57.  Seems I
have it bracketed.

Reason for asking for the list's assistance is that the MGA I have
purchased is still at the previous owner's, some 2.5 hrs away and I
don't have one to run out and measure!  Going to buy a battery and take
it down when I go to pick it up and am trying to avoid getting an
incorrect size.

Now I've got two to look for.  Either a 26P or a 56, right?

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/