Timing Chain Sprocket Alignment

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing Chain Sprocket Alignment
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:33:38 -0500
Well, my little '74 B is still in the garage, about two feet off the
floor, and her happy little motor is sparkling clean, freshly painted,
and has it's crankshaft, camshaft and pistons all lubed and installed.

Since my old timing chain sprockets were worn down to needles, I bought
a new double-row set.  According to the apostle Haynes, I have mounted
the two sprockets and am checking the alignment.  Good thing too,
because I see there's something around .035" difference between the two.
 I didn't see a tolerance in my manual.  Can anyone tell me how close is
close enough?

Secondly, are the shims peculiar to the MG or can I go down to my local
parts store and say "Hand me a bunch o' them 1-1/2" x .005" shims?"

Thanks.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - Almost ready for spring.  Timing is everything.