Truth about B trannies?

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, rodsintomg@aol.com,
Subject: Truth about B trannies?
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:16:38 -0700
OK, on this whole 4-synchro vs. 3 synchro scenario, I'm
becoming confused and am getting conflicting reports.  Can
someone help me clear this up?

According to Butch Gilbert who has raced MGBs for donkey's
years, the 3-synchro MGB gearbox is good for about 10 extra
peak HP at the rear wheels compared to 4-synchro boxes.
Rich Gordon at Trafalger spares speculated that the reverse
should be true due to the 4-synchro box's bearing and shaft
size.  Could it be the size and weight of the flywheel
that's really making the difference?

I'm inclined to trust Butch, but am seeking more opinions
before I pull the engine and start swapping gearboxes.

Thanks,

Andy
--

Andy Ramm
A silver face in a tweed world.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C) and
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
advertisement to this equipment.  A violation of the
aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover
actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for
each violation.