Re: Truth about B trannies?

To: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Truth about B trannies?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:17:04 -0400
Andy Ramm wrote:
> According to Butch Gilbert who has raced MGBs for donkey's
> years, the 3-synchro MGB gearbox is good for about 10 extra
> peak HP at the rear wheels compared to 4-synchro boxes.

  I find this hard to beleive, mathematically.

  It is possible for one gearbox to have more "frictional losses"
than another, and therefore put more power to the wheels.

  However, any energy lost due to friction is produced in heat.

  In short, 10hp is a LOT of heat, that's ~7500W. I can't imagine
one transmission eating 7500W more than another in friction and
still staying intact.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/