Re: 73BGT Purchase????

To: BIDGOODA@pab22a.ssd.loral.com
Subject: Re: 73BGT Purchase????
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:44:48 EDT
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:16:00 -0700 "BIDGOOD, ALAN"
<BIDGOODA@pab22a.ssd.loral.com> writes:

>Hi all,
>
>Having become addicted with Mg's and although
>very happy with my 1978 MGB Roadster, I keep
>looking at adds for LBC's and continue to want
>another (and another......... )
>
>Anyway I have come across this 1973 MGBGT,
>which I am considering.  It has been in a state of
>neglect for about 3 years.  It will ultimately need
>a new paint job (The previous one was pretty bad
>and is flaking fading etc.) there is some rust on sills
>and fenders, but not really bad. It starts and runs,
>although there is some smoking from the exaust.
>The interior is shot and will need carpets door panels,
>seat covers etc. Unfortunately no overdrive, tires are
>OK and the body is generally very solid and complete,
>just a couple of dings, and in need of a side light lens,
>chrome strip and some rubber here and there.
>Oh yes, oil pressure seems to run just over 50 psi and
>idles at 25 when hot, the car does not overheat, but runs
>around normal.
>
>I welcome any comments, and what sort of value you
>would put on a vehicle like this?
>
>Thanking you in anticipation
>                                                  Alan B.'

One is NEVER enough is it!!? - much as was discussed last week, the real
determining factor is HOW rusty it is - surface rust is often the tip of
the iceberg and i'd be inclined to get a pro opinion on how much work it
needs to get through your local safety inspection - bodywise
If it really is solid it would likely be worth about $2500 here in the
north east (you didnt mention where you are) tapering down to $6-700 for
a "running" parts car!!
Engine sounds ok on the face of it - how about front/rear ends and all
their bibs n bobs?

Everyone needs a GT - i hope this one turns out to be yours!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster