RE: white smoke

To: miker15@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: white smoke
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 98 21:34:17 UT
Mike,

White smoke is never a good thing for the reason you point out (unless you are
waiting to see who was elected pope!).  Perhaps you purchased gas with some
H2O in it - that would definitely be bad.  Also, to rule out the head gasket
leaking coolant into the oil, look at the dipstick and stick your nose in the
oil fill hole - smell any coolant?- see any white stuff? - either condition
may indicate water in the oil.  BTW, check the coolant for oil too (it's a 2
way street)!!  Regarding the OD, my experience has been that when the tranny
oil is running hot, the OD takes longer to engage because the oil is thinner.
Your tranny oil running hot may be related to the engine woes if said woes are
making the engine run hot.  Your OD could also be overdue for a rebuild and
the warmer temperatures (whether engine or seasonal weather related) are just
emphasizing this for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Doug