Re: white smoke

To: dr-doug@classic.msn.com
Subject: Re: white smoke
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:41:10 EDT
On Mon, 27 Apr 98 21:34:17 UT "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
writes:
>Mike,
>
>White smoke is never a good thing for the reason you point out (unless
>you are
>waiting to see who was elected pope!).  Perhaps you purchased gas with
>some
>H2O in it - that would definitely be bad.  Also, to rule out the head
>gasket
>leaking coolant into the oil, look at the dipstick and stick your nose
>in the
>oil fill hole - smell any coolant?- see any white stuff? - either
>condition
>may indicate water in the oil.  BTW, check the coolant for oil too
>(it's a 2
>way street)!!  Regarding the OD, my experience has been that when the
>tranny
>oil is running hot, the OD takes longer to engage because the oil is
>thinner.
>Your tranny oil running hot may be related to the engine woes if said
>woes are
>making the engine run hot.  Your OD could also be overdue for a
>rebuild and
>the warmer temperatures (whether engine or seasonal weather related)
>are just
>emphasizing this for you.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Dr. Doug

Thanks Doug - these were my initial thoughts but i dont have any evidence
of oil in the water or vice versa, the head gasket seepage is not showing
at all (cleaned it off a couple of weeks back)
The gas idea may be pertinent - i bought a tankful last week in NJ at a
highway place - not my usual Amoco -if it persists after the next refill
ill give it a shot of dry-gas

As for the O/d, - no problem ENgaging - thats working instantaneously,
its only DISENgaging that is delayed

As for temp, if anything the car runs cool - i never get to the N and
whilst it may be a guage that needs recalibration it just isnt running
hot (thats what my 72 does - hehe)

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT