Help with "B" steering ball joint

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help with "B" steering ball joint
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 07:58:42 -0700
Eric Murphy wrote,
     Help needed with "B" steering ball joint separation.

Eric was looking for a way to separate the steering ball joint so as to be
able to replace the steering rack boot.

Separating the ball joint is a pain and without the right tool one can
destroy the ball joint or at least split the neoprene cup.
I offer my alternative method to this project.
What I do, is not separate the ball joint, I remove the steering link from
the axle, then unscrew the link and ball joint as one assembly, from the rack.
To do this, you must first loosen the lock nut behind the ball joint,
because to do it later is much more difficult.
To do the rest of the work one really needs the front of the car supported
on two stands, I place them under the inner "A" arm  pivots.  This enables
the steering to be moved from left to right for the next step of the
operation.
Locate the two bolts that attach the steering link to the axle.
Give them a shot of WD40 or your favorite penetrating agent and let the oil
do it's thing. Then give it a second shot and loosen and then remove these
two bolts and pull the link to the front and away from the axle. Now
unscrew the assembly from the steering rack, count the turns and then you
can get it back to almost the same spot when you reassemble. You will then
need to remove the lock nut to get the old boot removed and the new one
installed, again, count the turns to remove it. This gives you a second
check point to get the alignment almost spot on.  Good luck, hope this
helps.  John.
E-MAIL - jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
        AMDAHL SUNNYVALE CA.
***  usual disclaimers apply  ***
1969MGBGT; 1973MGB; 1974MGB-restored;
1976MGB-restored; 1979MGB; 1972MGB-driver
VOICE - 408-746-6361 7:00 to 4:00 PST