Re: Help with "B" steering ball joint

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Help with "B" steering ball joint
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 19:23:16 -0500
At 07:52 PM 5/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Eric Murphy wrote:
>>
>>         I'm having some trouble replacing the steering rack boots on my 75
>> B. Im trying to separate the ball joint from the steering arm. It dosen't
>> want to let go. I've tried the methods in the Haynes manual, and the
>> suggestion from the Moss catalog. Hiting it with a hammer, as the Haynes
>> suggests, was no good. "Beating it down" with a brass drift and big hammer
>> was no good either. I'm hesitant to use an air hammer, like Moss suggested.
>> Is there some preticular tool I need? Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>>                                         Eric Murphy
>
>Eric
>Try the hammer method again - this time try two hammers and beat
>rythmically on the joint - It will give eventually!
>
>Rick

I had the same trouble on my 78B.  Just go down to autozone and rent a ball
joint spreader.  After 20mins of trying to get it off, I drove into town to
get the tool.  Needless to say, I had both of them off in 2 mins.  I
damaged my boots in the process, but I was going to replace the whole ball
joint anyway.

Mike