Re: MG Title

To: vwruss@gte.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Title
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 07:11:27 EDT
Kevin Richards wrote:

>I wanted to know the "legality" of selling the title of an old
>rotten hulk to someone who needs a title for a car they are
>restoring that does not have (or cannot track down) the title.

Standard Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, therefore, my opinion is worth
just as much as the paper this is written on.

In this instance, it appears that it would be illegal as the reason for
doing so is not a rebuild, but rather to change the VIN so that the car
can be titled (real close to fraud, IMHO).  Whoever sold the "rotten
hulk['s]" body & title would probably be considered an accomplice since
the intended use for the hulk was known when it was sold.

Perhaps the owner of the other car can apply for a rebuilder's title or
salvage title or whatever it is called in the state where the car is
located.  One should question why that is not explored first, as it is
probably the smartest route.
Barring that, I believe someone on the list has mentioned a place in
Alabama that will buy an untitled car and sell it back to the owner with
a title.  Evidently the state doesn't issue titles unless the car is
being sold out of state.

As to the legality of the proposed action, your best bet is to contact a
lawyer who practices in the state where you live, and pose the question
to him or her -- I strongly encourage this.  They have the appropriate
training, materials, etc, to render a legal opinion.  They also have
errors and ommissions insurance, in case they tell you the wrong thing,
and are close enough to ream out in person....

Rich