Re: MGA Roadster - whats it worth

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: MGA Roadster - whats it worth
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:55:53 -0700 (PDT) (21:55 UT)
>The seller thinks the car should bring between $5-8,000.  I offered
<$3500 and left without the car.

 I think you made a very correct offer.  After all, you do not know if
the engine is seized.  In all likelyhood, the car was not prepped for
long storage. (Milou sat for nineteen years, and I was able to start
right up after rebuilding the soft parts, but no engine work).  You
also don't know the condition of the transmission.  But considering
the apparent thoroughness of the defunct restorer, it's probably in
good shape.
 If you're not averse to reassembling it, and you're reasonably sure
that all the parts are there, go back with $4,000 cash.  Maybe
he'll bite.  Use the argument that the driveline is an unknown, and
you could be in for an engine teardown and a transmission rebuild.
FYI, I spent about $750 replacing all the rubber, including tires,
and rebuilding all of the hydraulics, fuel, and cooling system
on Milou, bringing her back from 19 years of a sessile state.
You may also be in for a paint job.
 Start with a fully restored, non-concours value of about $7,000 and
start subtracting costs, known, probable, and possible.  That'll give
you your offering price.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*