Re: MGA Roadster - whats it worth

To: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Roadster - whats it worth
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 10:46:23 -0500
M. W. Jordan, Jr. wrote:

> Thanks to the listers who responded to my generic pricing question on
> the 1960 MGA roadster over the past couple of days.  I went and saw the
> car on Wednesday and now would like to once again tap the knowledge of
> the list to help me arrive at a fair price.
>
> The car was originally described as "1961 MGA Roadster, no rust, parts
> necessary to complete, restoration stalled."  Further described by
> seller as runner in good shape that needs some work to complete a
> restoration started by a mechanic who was unable to complete what he
> started (untimely death, his own)
>
> I went and looked at the car Wednesday afternoon, and here is a more
> detailed description of what I found:
>
> Car is in covered storage area and according to seller has sat untouched
> for 8 years.  Car is covered with a car cover, wheels and tires removed
> and parts and bits and pieces in the passenger compartment and trunk.
> Body looks good, no dents, no scratches, paint looks about 8 years from
> new, but is somewhat rough to the touch.  I would say car was painted
> after body imperfections were repaired, but never rubbed out, waxed and
> polished.  Windshield is good, no cracks.  Side curtains, top and other
> trim pieces are pretty ratty and are not affixed to the car.  Dash has
> been loosened and is hanging in approximate position, but not attached
> to car.  Seats look like they have 8 years of dust on them, but
> otherwise okay, no holes, rips.  Interior carpet is toast.  There is no
> heater in the engine compartment; panel is in place where the heater
> should go.
>
> There is no evidence of rust except light surface rust on underside of
> car.  Sills seem solid, doors close tightly and line up well in the door
> jambs.
>
> There are no batteries and thus no way to know if the engine will start,
> one carb is off the intake manifold and in a box in the trunk.  Seller
> indicates that the motor was rebuilt.  It does look clean and there was
> no evidence of great puddles of oil underneath car.  All wheels are off
> car with new tires mounted.  The axles are free and will turn, front and
> rear.
>
> The seller showed me a listing of parts (two pages of notebook paper
> with two columns per page) that were represented to have been purchased
> from Moss 8 years ago for between $1000 and $1200.  Some parts have a
> notation "installed on car".  Parts not installed are in boxes in and
> around car and include a new gas tank, new bumpers and over riders, new
> insignia, the panel that covers the batteries, new headlight buckets,
> brake kits, hoses, clips and much more.
>
> >From underneath the car, again there is surface rust, the exhaust pipe
> is rusted through (new pipes and muffler included in new parts not
> installed) but no other evidence of cancer.  Frame appears straight and
> sound.
>
> Car was last inspected in 1976, so it is likely it has been off the road
> [...]
Considering the large number of unknowns, IMHO $3500 is a very handsome
offer.  You will find many such cars priced on basis of "what i have in
it", not what it is worth, which is the proper measure.  As you are the
one taking the chance that all can be corrected without excessive
expense, the price should reflect your risk.  Good Luck.  John