spammers- no lbc content

To: "mg list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spammers- no lbc content
From: "bmahoney" <bmahoney@okcity.tds.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:21:54 -0500
I know there was some comments about companies/people who sent junk-email
and I thought some people might find this interesting. And thanks to all
that didn't make any sarcastic comments about knocking on wood and teen
porn queens!

LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 29, 1998 - A company that once sent as
many as 25 million unsolicited e-mail ads a day has agreed to pay
$2 million to settle a lawsuit aimed at ending the so-called
"spamming.
Under a consent decree filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court,
Cyber Promotions Inc. also must stop sending unsolicited bulk
e-mailings to customers of Earthlink Network Inc., {The New York
Times} reported Sunday, citing documents that Earthlink released
Friday.
"The most important benefit of this judgment is the message we've
sent to spammers that illegally tap our resources and clog up the
Internet with this trash -- we won't stand for it," said Charles
Garry Betty, chief executive of the Pasadena-based Earthlink,
which provides Internet service to more than 450,000 people.
Cyber Promotions, based in Dresher, Pennsylvania, was considered
the largest purveyor of unsolicited e-mail ads. A similar
injunction against the company was issued last year in a lawsuit
filed by America Online, the world's largest online service.
Cyber Promotions has been inactive for several months since its
own Internet provider refused to continue providing a connection,
the Times said.
Critics complain that the junk e-mails slow down receipt of genuine
messages and invade the privacy of e-mail users. Programmers
continually are upgrading computer programs designed to block
the unwanted messages.
California is one of about a dozen states considering laws to limit
unsolicited commercial e-mail. Last week, Washington became the
first state to enact such legislation. Congress also is looking
into the matter.

Becky