Re: tail lights

To: wise@db.erau.edu
Subject: Re: tail lights
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:59:39 EDT
Hi John,
  Thanks for that insight. The contrast of dark to light would certainly
be more obvious than light to brighter.    I've had quite enough close
approaches to the back of the GT. At first I installed a third brake
light at the inside of the top of the back glass. It was so much in my
mirror's sightline that I worked out the alternative.
  On the TD, which seems to be a target for unobservant drivers, I have a
third brake light mounted on the spare tire stud so that it is against
the upper part of the spare tire. It shines right into the eyes of the
tailgating pests.  Often it has occurred to me is that what I really need
is a spotlight back there that could be flashed on at the same time a
bucket of roofing nails was tipped, a la James Bond.  Although I hooked
up the third light so that it would be an additional tail light, I think
I'll disconnect the tail light filament, based on your advice.
  This TD is a soft, beige metallic color. It was uncommon and I've seen
only one other with that paint in all the years we have had the car
(since 1953).  I wonder if that color tends to disappear into the
environment, since cars seem to pull out in front of this TD at
alarmingly frequent intervals. I drive as close to the centerline of a
two-lane road as I can, usually with headlamps on, because of the cars
that dart out from the sides. This must by how motorcyclists feel. Do you
suppose it's the color, the tall, narrow appearance, diminutive size or
something else that makes this car invisible?
Bob