RE: Emissions testing: Was " It is official!"

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Emissions testing: Was " It is official!"
From: "Miller, John" <John_Miller@jdedwards.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:18:36 -0600
        How did you install a catalyst with a Weber and headers?  The
        catalyst is supposed to bolt directly to that funky intake/exhaust
        manifold which they put on the post 1974 1/2 cars.

        Peter Schauss

I went to the local discount auto parts store and asked for the smallest
"universal" catalyst they had.  They had one about 15" long that would fit
my exhaust pipes.  The guy who sold it to me told me to keep it as close to
the engine as possible because it has to get hot to do its job.  So I cut a
section of the exhaust right behind the header and put it on, and it is
located right beneath where your feet would be while driving.  When I went
to take the emissions test with the catalyst on the car the readings were
75% lower than the test I had taken a few days earlier without it.  I had to
adjust the timing because the car was running rich and the catalyst
overheated at first, but it has been about a month now and I haven't had any
problems with it and I don't notice any of the heat from a hot catalyst
right under my feet.  The catalyst cost me $85, but the results are dramatic
and the car is now legal.  I think as more states change their laws and
people with modified post-'74 lbc's get stuck in the predicament I was in,
this may be the quickest, cheapest way to get legal.

John Miller
76 MGB
100% Legal