Re: Newcomer seeks help on GT

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Newcomer seeks help on GT
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:36:21 +0300
I wish to really thank all the people who responded
to my initial posting with helpful hints and suggestions.

Importing an MGB GT to Greece is out of the question
because attaching Greek registration plates to a
non-catalytic 1800cc car would cost US $9,000 in taxes alone,
even if the car is imported from another EC country,
Great Britain, for instance!

I know because I checked it when I had the naive (!)
idea of going to Britain, buying one in decent condition
and driving it back to Greece. You cannot imagine the
laughs I got from customs people here when I told them of my plan.

So, that leaves me with choosing from the ones already
here. Although there are many Minis (and Mk2 1100's) you
are correct in that there are few MGBs and most of them
are Roadsters.

I'll order the books suggested from one of the suppliers
in Britain because I'd like to do my homework before spending
any money.

Once again, thank you.

Evangelos Makris