Re: Newcomer seeks help on GT

To: emakris@hol.gr
Subject: Re: Newcomer seeks help on GT
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:24:39 EDT
On Wed, 27 May 1998 17:51:06 +0300 "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
writes:
>Mike,
>thank you very much for your informative response.
>
>I will see both GT's by the end of June. In the meantime I'll order
>the book by L. Porter so I have an idea of what awaits me!
>
>However, I already know that at least one of the cars has wire wheels.
>How easy is it to change to steel wheels? I am asking this because
>I'd hate the idea of leaving the car somewhere for the night only
>to find out someone stole them - they make nice decoration items,
>some people might think.
>
>Then there's trueing them. Would a motorcycle servicing centre
>be able to do that? Can I do it myself?
>
>Best regards
>Evangelos Makris

Evangelos -
Apologies for replying through the list but my email server will not
deliver to hol.gr
(I need a better carrier)
It is possible to change from wire wheels to rostyles but you will need
to change the hubs and the stub axles - its quite a lot of work, however
if the wire wheel car gas the octagonal knock-ons as opposed to the
winged ones, they are very hard to steal unless you have the correct
tool!! - if you decide on the car with wires make sure you get a set of
the octagonals - im sure somebody on the list will have a set lying
around!
Truing and balancing wires is a tricky process - some people do it
themselves but the only time i tried the wheel became a dust collector in
my garage where it still sits! - I would certainly try a motorcycle place
- they must be used to it

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT