Re: duh (starter switch)

To: skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: duh (starter switch)
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:12:43 EDT
On Tue, 26 May 1998 16:33:54 -0700 Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
writes:
>Someone want to clue me in (use small words please) on where I'm
>supposed
>to hook up the leads on this remote starter switch?
One remote lead goes to a "hot" power source, either the battery terminal
on the starter solenoid (a real pain to get to) or the Brown wire on the
fuse block (my personal favorite).
 The other lead should be connected to the starter relay at the white/red
wire connector. Should your car not be equipped with a relay, connect the
remote switch to the solenoid at the white/red wire connection.

>I'm assuming to something on the starter, and maybe the battery side
>of
>something on the fusebox?
>
>Am I supposed to turn on the ignition key before using the switch if I
>want it to actually start (I don't, since I'll be doing compression
>test,
>but just out of curiousity).

 Yes

>  If yes, then I assume you better start
>it
>really soon after turning the key or the coil will melt?
Not neccessarily. The coil will begin to heat up when the switch is on,
IF the points in the distributor are closed. If they aren't, no current
is flowing through the coil.
So theres about a 50/50 chance the coil is "on". Even then, critical
melt-down won't occur all that quickly. It takes a bit of time for a coil
(in otherwise good condition) to overheat. You'll be safe during routine
maintenance work. Just don't turn the ignition on and leave it on while
you hoist a couple!
 If you're going to use the remote quite a bit, you might try what I've
made up. It's just a couple of short lengths of wire attached to a simple
SPST toggle switch. One wire has a female spade connector; the other a
male spade. When working under the hood, I'll disconnect the coil + wire,
connect the "auxilary switch" to the lead and the coil, and turn on the
ignition. Thus I can cut off the ignition without having to run around to
the other side of the car every couple of minutes. Saves a bunch of time

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget