MGA Chassis

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGA Chassis
From: "Douglas Gaither" <gaither@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 20:27:20 -0700
For those who remember, my father purchased a 1957 MGA a few months ago.  We
just got it last week.  We were very excited to get the body off and get
down to the chassis restoration.  Several floor rails (supports for the
floorboards) will need to be replaced, and the inside of the chassis at the
passenger's (LHD) right foot will have to be patched as well as at the
driver's left foot.  I have a few questions about the best way to prepare
the chassis.

1) How do we prepare the chassis for new paint?  Do we sandblast?
Chem-strip?  Wire-wheel on drill?  Or just clean and paint over what's
there?  Do we need to use primer?  Just plain black spray-can paint?

2) Do we repair all welding before stripping?

3) Is there anything special we should know about repairing the chassis?

Neither of us knows how to weld.  But we've been told that it takes a good
10 minutes for resonably bright people to understand the basics of MIG
welding.  My dad is going to go and purchase a little welder from the local
Costco and we are planning on picking up some 16 gauge sheet metal to affect
the repairs.  Then we are off!  Are we going about this the wrong way?  Are
little welders from Costco something to be avoided?

Doug Gaither