Re: Rusty floor

Subject: Re: Rusty floor
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 98 22:04:17 -0700
On Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 09:57:00 -0700, "BIDGOOD, ALAN"
<BIDGOODA@pab22a.ssd.loral.com>

<SNIP>
>Yes, the rust was worse than I thought, I actually now have
>some holes as a result of my scraping.  The question is - has anyone
>managed a repair to this area without having a new floor piece welded
>in, eg. with fiberglass etc.
<SNIP>

>Alan B.'

I'm no metallugist, but if your floorpans are thing enoug to put a
scraper through, I wonder how stable they'll be when you're sitting in
the seat and bouncing around. Just a thought you might want to ponder.

I had one hole in my floor and a whole lot of surface rust so I treated
them with POR-15. As per their instructions, I placed a piece of
fiberglass over the wet POR-15 and then recoated the area.  It dried as
hard as a rock.

I chose POR-15 over other treatments, like Corroless, because it was the
old one that didn't say it converted the rust.  They explained that it is
a tough ceramic-like coating that seals the rust so oxygen can't get to
it. And as a result, no further rust.

I don't know about the no further rust part, only time will tell.  But
when I was installing my carpet kit, I dropped plenty of tools
(Screwdrivers, scissors and an awl) onto the floors and the POR-15 didn't
chip or crack.  So it's definately a tough surface. I'll keep the list
posted if there's any change.

BTW, I have no financial interest in this product. I'm just a satisfied
user. (Except with the part where a can of Chassis Black leaked in
shipping and sealed itself shut.)

Joseph
67 B Roadster