Webers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Webers
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 15:44:34 EDT
I guess I am a little out of touch, but until I saw the number of posts
regarding use of the Weber DGV carbs, I hadn't realized that so many people
were replacing their SUs.

I have used the DGV in the past, and while it is definitely a good carb, it
shows no performance increase over stock (likely quite the contrary) yet some
people seem to have been drawn to them, perhaps because of the name, thinking
that they would add some horsepower.

What has happened to shift so many people from the simple rebuilding of their
original carbs with readily available parts? Is it imagined power gains, or
perceived shortage in bits for the SU, or what?

Even the side draft Webers make little difference to a stock engine, and even
on a tuned one, the difference felt is at the top end, and pretty much useless
on the street. I speak from actual experience here as well. They do at least
_look_ racy, which I think accounts for quite a few unnecessary carb
replacements, but the same thing can't be said for the DGV.

IMH (but experienced) O, if you must modify, the 1 3/4" SUs make an excellent
mod, with more power available up top, assuming that you have done the head
work, combined with good low speed flexibility and mileage.

Having said that, of course, I currently run both my race cars on twin Webers,
but that is for real rather than imaginary advantage, as both have 4 intake
ports (HRG head on the TVR and then the Twinkie head on the A).

I'd be interested in why people have fitted the DGVs. Thanks in advance for
satisfying my curiosity.

Bill S.