RE: 73 MGB

Subject: RE: 73 MGB
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:35:09 -0700
Called NAPA and they do carry the 6 volt batteries ($62.49 each).  Assume if
I go that route I would hook the batteries as follows:

      out <---- neg term  pos term <----> neg term  pos term ----> out

I also asked about the group 26 batteries which they have.  Specs on these
where 640 cold crank amps with dimensions: 8 5/8 x 6 3/4 x 7 5/16. Sound
correct?  $39.99 or 1/3 the cost of going w/ the 2 six volt batteries.

In the case of the single batter install, would I just reroute one of the
battery cables to the other battery compartment and hook it up?  Or is there
anything else I need to watch for.

I also asked about alternators, they carry it.  Part # 211-14029.  Put the
person I talked to didn't know if it was a 3 or 5 lead connection.

The electrical questions all started after the B wouldn't start Sunday
morning.  I had driven it the previous night and had used the head lights.
So, either the battery isn't holding a charge or the alternator isn't
putting out enough juice.  Or, I suppose there could be a poor ground
connection.

What is unusual, is that I jumped it and the car would not run until the
batteries had charged for awhile.  It would start and then immediately die.
When I got it running, it would die after few minutes.  Once the battery had
charged up, it ran fine.  I've had problem like this on new fuel injected
cars, but wouldn't have expected it on a carburated vehicle.

Nick

> All of the MGB's are 12 volt systems, you have two six volt
> batteries in series!  There are anumber of options available to you.  I
> have kept the origianl setup with NAPA 6 volt batteries.  Others have
converted to a
> single 12 volt, I believe it is a group 26 that will fit in the battery
compartment.