'80 MGB, tatty -- to buy or not to buy?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '80 MGB, tatty -- to buy or not to buy?
From: Charles N Horton <carolus@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:05:45 EDT
Hello!

     I'm considering an '80 MGB, in need of a new clutch. How much
does a clutch replacement run? I don't have much in the way of
equipment for doing it myself, so I'd probably need to have a shop
do the honors.
     If it requires removing the engine as it did on the '68 my mom
had many years ago, how much more would it cost to have the trans
replaced at the same time? The synchros are somewhat questionable.
     BTW, clutch symptoms are incomplete disengagement (with the
shifter in 1st and the pedal on the floor, cranking the engine
sometimes moves the car forward) and some slippage.

     Background info: I'm looking for a fun car, not a concours
restoration. The car in question has rust, although it looks
fixable with the patch panels I saw in someone's Vicky Brit
catalog. It does stall out at idle until it warms up, and then it
may run hot -- didn't take a long enough test drive to find out,
with the clutch and tranny acting like they did.
     Given that I'm just looking for a fun runabout and don't mind
if it's not a 100-point car, is this a bad one? I was thinking of
offering $500 (asking price is $1000, but the owner had forgotten
about some of its problems) and I don't want to go much higher
than that. I'd like to have it in complete, drivable condition for
$1000.

     Just to continue rambling for a moment, I saw a '79 tonight.
Powertrain looked great -- started on the first crank, no stalling,
and 60lbs oil pressure at idle. Too bad the body is DOA :(

Thanks for your help as I seek a "tatty" MGB!
Charles.
'73 FJ40 Landcruiser V8-350 "Gandalf"
'80 MGB??? "If I wanted to get there, I'd have taken the Toyota"