Dashboard Puzzle

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dashboard Puzzle
From: "Webber, Geoff" <gwebber@dow.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:02:33 -0400
Here is an identification puzzle for the MGB gurus :-)

My 69B roadster was originally US spec. At some point conversion to RHD
was done when the car was brought to Australia (see my earlier post re:
steering column stalks)
The dashboard used now doesn't seem to exist in any of the books I've
seen. I just bought "Original MGB" on Friday and still haven't found the
answer. So, for those interested in a puzzle, I've posted 3 pictures
(dash1.jpg, dash2.jpg and dash3.jpg) at the address below:

http://www.crosswinds.net/sydney/~geoff/MGstuff

Things to look at:
- Central dual gauge (Oil/Temp) centrally mounted between speedo and
tacho.
- Ignition light and Hi beam indicator mounted high, left/right turn
indicators mounted low, but all 4 lights are centred in the cluster
- Blanking holes on the bottom edges of the binnacle where
ignition/hi-beam lights are in GT V8 dashes (underneath the speedo and
tacho)
- Map light mounted centrally under the radio and above the transmission
tunnel (but this could be bogus, there is no hole or light behind the
silver cap or any switch to turn it on)
- Top heater control operates via a is a pull rather than rotating
action

Very odd!
Functional none the less but I'm very curious.

I was thinking this may be a 74 GT V8 dash as per page 48 in Clausager.
If so, it looks like I'm missing a backing plate or trim panel behind
the speedo/tacho and have the addition of a oil/temp gauge where the
panel lights dimmer should be. But the indicator lights/hi-beam and
ignition lights seems to be in the wrong place. I don't think the
ammeter is original either. Where ammeters ever fitted as standard? On
mine there is one  located where the dual oil/temp gauge seems to be in
the photos from the books I've checked (under the headlight rocker
switch)

Thanks for your comments

Cheers,

Geoff