Re: Dashboard puzzle

To: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Dashboard puzzle
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:29:40 +0000
Douglas McKinnie wrote:

> >Next plan is to tackle the 180 degree rotation for the steering column
> >stalks and perhaps put a bulb/socket under the empty map light cap on
> >the dash.
>
> All of the cars that I've driven lately in the UK have had the
> turn signal stalk on the left. The only one I've ever driven
> with the stalk on the right was a Mitsubishi van that I drove
> in Malta. It was quite a hassle switching from that to our
> other car, and I did the 'wipers on dry glass' trick frequently
> in both.
>
> I just assumed that indicators on the left stalk was one of
> those things that everyone did the same, like having the clutch
> pedal on the left and the accelerator on the right. I'd never
> encountered them on the right until driving this van. It did
> keep the stalk out of the way of the shifter for the
> transmission, which was on the left (as appropriate for a RHD
> car.)
>
> What is the standard MGB position for the indicator stalk in
> RHD cars? (Here I admit that I have never driven an MGB outside
> of North America)
>
> Douglas McKinnie

I mainly drive two B's (right-hand stalk, literally!) and hate it when I get it
wrong on the occasional euro-box hire car, then get it wrong again when I get
back
into one of the B's.  I think MGB's always had the indicator stalk on the
right,
LHD and RHD.  Britain eventually 'standardised' on the European left-hand stalk
simply for the manufacturers benefit.  Before you could brake, blip the
throttle,
de-clutch, change gear, indicate and flash the lights all at the same time.
Now
(in a euro-box) you can't.

PaulH.