Ozone conspiracy

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ozone conspiracy
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:14:24 -0500
Off topic but I have an opinion so it's fair game.
My understanding of the ozone layer is that the ozone is made by the UV
light putting energy into standard oxygen molecules.  3O(2) + energy =
2O(3).  If this is the case, then that reaction would happen any time there
is sufficient energy to cause it.  So, the ozone layer is a self
rejuvenating, self limiting filter.  If it gets thinned out, the UV energy
makes more until the energy left is insufficient to drive the reaction.  If
the layer is too thick then the reactions stops.  No sun, no ozone.  If we
release something else that soaks up UV, then it replaces ozone but will
not increase the amount of UV radiation reaching the earth.

Somewhat on the same topic.  I knew a sailboat caption whose nickname was
"Captain Ozone" but that was more for his lack of mental fortitude (mainly
drug induced) than for his care for the environment.

I think that a lot of these causes are self fulfilling due to the structure
for research.  The government pays for important research so everything is
gloom and doom.  If the researcher were to prove it is no big deal, look
how many people would be out of jobs and how many world famous experts
would be teaching junior high science.  Most of these causes have more to
do with making money than they do with making our environment safe.  My
opinion FWIW.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA running tonight or else