Re: Dipstick and Tire Pressure

To: andrew.martens.pas@govmail.gov.sk.ca
Subject: Re: Dipstick and Tire Pressure
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:02:42 -0400
At 08:52 AM 6/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
> I don't add oil between changes so I am not
>sure how much you have to add to bring the oil level up from the MIN to the
>MAX line.

In the past, I have always topped it up to where I felt was a safe, but
low,  level.  Then I drive it a few minutes to circulate the oil.  Then let
it cool off a few minutes and add a few ounces at a time until it's a hair
below max.  I keep a small squirt bottle of 20/50 now for that and topping
the dashpots.

>In a previous posting, I recall someone suggested operating with tire
>pressures in the high 20s.  My manual calls for 21 front and 24 rear, except
>for GTs - 26 in rear.  It also said to add 6 lbs to F and R for sustained
>high speed driving.

I have heard that the tire pressure recommended by the mfgr's should petty
much be ignored because of the relative lightness of our cars.  Remember
when you were 9 and Bertha Butt got on your bicycle and the tire rims were
scraping the ground, and you thought the tubes would explode?  Same
concept.  Too much pressure, and the footprint the tire makes with the
pavement is too small, decreasing traction and wearing the tread too
quickly in the center. Too little, and the opposite occurs.  My MGA is
supposed to have weighed in at a tad over 2000 pounds wet when it was
driven onto the boat.  That's a far cry from todays cars, which altho made
entirely of plastic and ribbon, weigh more due to all the extra stuff like
smog systems, etc. Since I have yet to use the folding top and don't own
windows or a spare tire, I guess that's gonna put me even lower.
Does anyone know of a web site that can tell you how much pressure to
really use for the weight of your car?  Could be interesting... I remember
being told that dragsters use as little as 4 psi.  My 10 speed bike uses
70. Tires and usage are radically different, granted, but it's a good
example of the wide range of pressures used.
Dave

'62 MGA 1600 MkII