Re: Dipstick and Tire Pressure -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Dipstick and Tire Pressure -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:11:04 -0400
Don't know of a web site, but I'd check into a search engine with some
big tire names like Goodrich, Michelin, Hoosier...

Two interesting things I've read from this list regarding tires:

1)  If your car weighs 2000 lbs., assume 500 lbs. per tire.  (If you
know your axle weights, you can be more exact.)  In cornering, more
weight will go to the outside tire.  You also need a safety factor.  So
double your assumption to 1000 lbs. per tire.  Examine the "maximum load
rating at max psi" on the side of your tire.  Divide your 1000 lbs. into
the maximum load rating, and use that fraction of the maximum psi for
your tire pressure.

2)  Take some heavy chalk (like children's sidewalk chalk) and score an
even line across your tread.  Drive a hundred feet or so.  Check the
wear on the chalk line.  If it's more worn in the middle, too much
pressure.  If it's worn on the edges, too little.  Adjust pressure,
repeat as neccessary.

I haven't tried either of these methods, but they both interested me
enough to remember them.  If I ever get my MG off its jack stands,  I
think I'll have a shot at them.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - whose tires may rot and fall off before they get worn out.

>>> <baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com> 06/16/98 02:02pm >>>
I have heard that the tire pressure recommended by the mfgr's should
petty
much be ignored because of the relative lightness of our cars...

...Does anyone know of a web site that can tell you how much pressure to
really use for the weight of your car?