Re: Paint guns?

To: MYLDN@aol.com, MGS@Autox.Team.Net, MGA@ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Paint guns?
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:01:31 -0500
At 11:06 AM 6/16/98 EDT, MYLDN@aol.com wrote:
>Hi all, question? what advantages does a gravity feed HVLP gun have over a
>suction feed HVLP gun? and does anyone have any sugetions on any brands of
>good yet reasonable priced for the nonprofesional who will only use it
once or
>twice a year.
>Sean Muldoon

Sean, the gravity feed HVLP gun will allow you to use up all the paint you
mixed, whereas, with the suction feed, you will have to throw some of the
paint away.  I don't particularly like suction feed for this, since the
paint isn't very friendly to the environment (seriously, all ozone BS
aside, this stuff isn't good to your body or the environment).

I believe the suction feed allows you to paint with the gun sideways,
whereas, the gravity limits the angles at which you can hold your gun, but
I'm not sure of this.  I think I saw it in a catalog.

FinishLine brand is made by Divilblis(sp?) is is in my opinion, a good
quality gun.  We paid $175 for a gravity feed HVLP gun.

We use around 23 psi in our gun; absolutely no overspray.  We used a
cheaper, non-HVLP gun to shoot the primer, and the overspray was
horrendous.  The pattern and amount were easy to adjust, and the gun was
really easy to clean because of the plastics they used for the cup.

On another related subject, my brother (paint boy) was having fun shooting
the basecoat on our MGB V-8 project, but we got butchered when we tried to
shoot the clearcoat.  Either we had runs, or orange peel and nothing in
between.  WE tried several different activators (different temp ranges) for
the clear, but could never get it right.  Anybody have ideas what could
have been wrong?  Art, you out there?
Looks like we have a ton of wet sanding now :(.

Jay